Thanks to Western Wake Farmers’ Market shopper Terri Melcher Nelson for sharing this recipe.
Adapted from Country Living recipe
1 cup fresh whole-wheat bread crumbs (or panko bread crumbs)
½ cup pepitas (roasted)
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or more to your liking)
¾ – 1 cup soft cheese, such as chevre (plain or flavored, such as herb, curry or spicy), farmer’s cheese, etc
1 2.5-3 lb. eating pumpkin (sugar, cheese, etc)
1 head of cauliflower
3-4 tablespoons flour (if using more watery pumpkin, use more flour)
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (to like)
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, pepitas, butter and half the thyme. Add in cheese; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, garlic, mustard seeds, salt, cumin seeds, pepper and remaining thyme.
- Quarter and peel pumpkin; slice into 1/8” slices. Quarter cauliflower; slice into 1/8” slices.
- Layer pumpkin, cauliflower, pumpkin, cauliflower, pumpkin with 2 ½ teaspoons of the flour mixture between layers.
- Pour the cream over the top of layers.
- Bake in center of oven for 30 minutes.
- After initial 30 minutes of baking, add cheese/bread crumb mixture of the top and bake until golden & bubbly, approximately 30 more minutes.