Thanks to Western Wake Farmers’ Market shopper Terri Melcher Nelson for sharing this recipe.
Adapted from unknown source
4 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
4 medium apples, cored, peeled and sliced (about twice as thick as potatoes)
1 ½ cups cranberries, chopped
½ cup turbinado or brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
6 tablespoons soft butter
2 tablespoons orange juice or zest of ½ orange
1 cup rolled/quick oats
½ cup whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Butter medium casserole.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes. Core, peel and slice apples. A mandolin is really helpful with the slicing.
- Pulse the cranberries in a food processor a few times. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg together and set aside.
- Layer ¼ of sweet potatoes in casserole, sprinkle with sugar mixture. Layer ¼ apples, sprinkle with sugar mixture. Then do another layer of ¼ of sweet potatoes, ¼ of apples, sprinkling with sugar between each layer.
- Add the chopped cranberries.
- Layer sweet potato, apple, sweet potato, apple sprinkling with sugar mixture between layers.
- Mix oats, flour, and butter into a crumble. Add orange juice or zest. Add in remaining sugar mixture. Add more sugar is remaining is limited.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until potatoes and apples are tender.